Carbon dioxide (CO2) lasers have been used for medical purposes since the 1960s. In fractionated CO2 laser treatment, also called laser resurfacing, a laser beam is directed at the skin in a grid-like pattern. This creates thousands of tiny, deep columns of heat in the skin called microthermal treatment zones (MTZs).
Fractionated CO2 laser treatment can improve the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, scars, and other skin concerns. It can also tighten your skin and improve its texture. But to make the most of your fractionated CO2 laser treatment, it's important to take proper care of your skin before and after the procedure.
How to Take Care of Your Skin Before Your Fractionated Carbon Dioxide Laser Treatment
Taking care of your skin before your fractionated carbon dioxide (CO2) laser treatment is important to help ensure the best possible results. Here are some tips on how to care for your skin before your treatment:
1. Avoid sun exposure. It's crucial to avoid sun exposure before your treatment. This will help to prevent any potential complications and ensure that your skin is as smooth and even as possible.
2. Cleanse your skin. Be sure to give your skin a thorough cleanse before your CO2 laser treatment. This will help to remove any dirt, oil, or makeup that could potentially interfere with the laser treatment.
3. Apply a light moisturizer. After cleansing your skin, apply a light moisturizer to help keep your skin hydrated.
4. Avoid using any harsh products. Avoid using any harsh skin products on your skin, such as exfoliants or retinoids, before your treatment. These harsh products can irritate your skin and make it more sensitive to the laser.
How to Take Care of Your Skin After Your Fractionated Carbon Dioxide Laser Treatment
It is important to take care of your skin after the treatment in order to maximize the results. Here are some tips on how to take care of your skin after a fractionated carbon dioxide laser treatment:
1. Avoid direct sunlight. It is crucial to avoid direct sunlight after a fractionated carbon dioxide laser treatment. The treated area will be more sensitive to the sun, and you may experience more side effects, such as redness and swelling. If you must go outside, make sure you wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
2. Use a gentle cleanser. It is crucial to use a gentle cleanser after a fractionated carbon dioxide laser treatment. Avoid using harsh cleansers or scrubbing the treated area. Instead, use a gentle cleanser that will not irritate the skin.
3. Apply a moisturizer. It is important to moisturize the skin after a fractionated carbon dioxide laser treatment. Moisturizing will help to soothe sensitive skin and prevent dryness. Choose a moisturizer that is designed for sensitive skin.
4. Avoid picking or scratching your face. It is crucial that you avoid picking or scratching the treated area. This can cause the skin to become irritated and can lead to infection. If you experience any itching, try your best to resist the urge to scratch.
5. Avoid using makeup. It is important to avoid using makeup after a fractionated carbon dioxide laser treatment. The treated area will be more sensitive, and you may experience more side effects, such as redness and swelling. If you must wear makeup, make sure you only use products that are designed for sensitive skin.
Fractionated carbon dioxide laser treatment is an effective way to improve the appearance of the skin. The laser works by creating tiny wounds in the skin, which stimulate the production of new collagen. This can help to improve the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and other signs of aging. To get the best results, it's crucial to practice proper skin care before and after your treatment.
Learn how to prepare for CO2 laser treatment at your consultation with Dallas Surgical Arts. We offer a broad range of cosmetic surgeries to create beautiful and lasting results. Our board-certified providers focus on facial, neck, oral-maxillofacial, and reconstructive procedures to support our patients’ health and cosmetic goals. Get in touch with us today!